Boating is a popular recreational activity which can take place both off the coast and on international waterways. This activity can pose significant risks and can lead to serious boat accidents. As a passenger aboard a boat, you are at the mercy of the vessel’s operator. If the driver fails to follow safety regulations or operates the boat negligently, you could suffer severe injuries or even death.
If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one as the result of a boating accident, you may seek financial compensation for your damages. These cases are complicated and require specialized legal knowledge, so it is critical to hire a boat accident attorney to help you navigate these waters to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. The boat accident lawyers at Roark, Hull and Wortham have the expertise to represent you or your loved one should you become the victim of a boating accident.
To file this type of lawsuit or insurance claim against a boat operator, your personal injury attorney must prove that the defendant acted in a negligent manner. Examples of negligent behavior can include operating a boat at an extremely high rate of speed or failing to comply with safety regulations. If applicable, you may also be able to prove that the boat operator willfully disregarded your safety out of recklessness.
The types of boating accidents that involve negligent or reckless behavior include:
- Operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs, carrying too many passengers, and/or not having necessary safety equipment, such as lifeboats and inflatable vests, aboard the vessel.
- Overloading a cargo ship or colliding into other vessels.
- Insufficient or the absence of navigation lights, and/or colliding with stationary objects, such as docks or buoys.
Successfully litigating a boating accident case requires in-depth knowledge of Texas boating laws and proof that a boat operator acted negligently. An Austin personal injury law firm with the necessary resources and experience can help prove your case.
Our boat accident lawyers can help you navigate the personal injury claim process and gather necessary information about your boating accident case. Our team will:
- Review your medical records and determine the severity of your injuries.
- Contact and interview those who witnessed the accident.
- Investigate the background and driving history of the boat operator, as well as the potential cause of the boat accident.
- Visit the scene of the accident and take photographs, gather testimony and collect available evidence.
- Engage in negotiations with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you receive a fair settlement offer.
If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a boat accident, there is no worse feeling than not receiving the compensation that your injuries demand. In Austin, Texas alone we have seen claimants receive tens of thousands less than they deserve after being denied by their own insurance company! You need legal representation from an Austin boat accident injury lawyer to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, get a FREE CASE EVALUATION now!
There are many components to your boat accident claim, including medical expenses, lost wages and past and future pain and suffering. If a loved one died, we will hire an economist to prove the pecuniary loss suffered by his or her next of kin.
To find an attorney with experience in boating accident litigation in Austin, contact the skilled boat accident attorneys at Roark, Hull & Wortham. Our team handles all types of personal injury cases, including boating and maritime accidents, wrongful death and more. Our boat accident lawyers are well-versed in Texas maritime law and can help you navigate the complex litigation process.